sexta-feira, 25 de setembro de 2009

Authenticity


How do you know where your limits are for expressing authenticity?

I have experienced my limits for expressing my authenticity. Essentially, context and culture play an important role in the limitation of my authenticity. For instance, as an international student, I have been sensitive to how different cultures shape my authenticity. In Brazil, for example, expressing approval with hugs is very common. In contrast, in the US, there is not much of physical contact. When I volunteered as an English instructor in a college destined to low income students, I would occasionally give my students a hug as a way of being receptive. In fact, I can say that this "tactic" worked, because since none of the students were obliged to take English classes, they remained taking this course for more than a year with me. I have had lots lots of other students, who were studying with other instructors, asking me to switch to my classes, because they had heard I was a very good instructor, and that my students were really learning the subject meaningfully.
On the other hand, when I did ed. 115 last January, I witnessed that there's not much of physical contact between teachers and students. Although that crashes with my authenticity as a person/teacher, I know that it is a matter of culture. I remained more cautious. It was a little hard, because kids (kindergaterners) were so surprised that there was a male teacher around them. Many of them named me "The Rock's brother". I suspect this nickname came because I am tall and bald. Some students would approach me, and would start talking and talking. It seemed as if I was something different in the school. However, as I said, I remainded cautious. I would never touch the students in a way that might have caused any type of trouble to the school.
Another thing that makes me "attractive" to student is my background. I was raised by my grandparents in a very humble community, where opportunities were rare, and illiteracy was high. However, my grandparents always told me that education should be my priority in life, because they said that they did not have an opportunity to study when they were kid (they had to work when they were 11). They always say that they don't want to see me have the hard life they've had without education. Also, they also stressed that poverty was not an excuse for me not to have a decent education. I can say that my grandparents were very concerned about my education. Nowadays, I am example of academic achievement in my community, for I am doing college in the US. (something very far-fatched to think about in our community). Many of the members of my community praise my grandparents for making me capable of reaching such goals. I give myself praise for who I am too. I've always fought for a better education in my life. I have refused colleges, which offered me full scholarship, for they did not go with what I expected from them academically. Now, I am college student in the US with full scholarship.

When I teach my students, I usually tell them a little bit about my story. Fortunately, many of them feel proud of the teacher they have, and most of those students end up saying that they want to be like mem especially in my community. That's why I think I have my own authenticity, which is very unique. I am aware that English skills cannot be compared to a native speaker; however, I make sure I am bringing much more than knowledge to class. I bring my experiences and my values. I do believe that education is the only thing that can change the world. And teaching goes beyond the cognitive world.


Lack of Authenticity in Class


I have had some teachers that were not authentic in class. For me, unauthentic teachers are those who suppress their feelings, or who do not bring any values to class. It is common to see some teachers come into the classroom, open their book, and dictate knowledge. That's what we call boring teachers. I don't mean that teachers need to make the class fun in order to their students learn. I believe that there are times when teachers need to act out accordingly. For example, teachers can't be smiling all the time, when students are feeling terrified.
As I said, teachers need to bring values to classrooms. I remember when I was teaching my college students. One of them said in the middle of my class "The teacher is one of us". That meant a lot to me, because I know the students could have me as someone they could relate to. Fake teachers try to fit in, but they fail to, because they are not being authentic. Even if the teacher comes from a upper class backgroud, there are values he/she can contribute to the classes. He/she should not pretend to be "one of them" if he/she is not. When a teacher is authentic, he/she values him/herself.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário