quarta-feira, 28 de outubro de 2009

Just Some Thoughts...


Although I was not assigned to post this comment, I felt in the mood to do so. One of the things that have been bugging me really hard is the educational hypocrisy: teachers pretend to be teaching, and students pretend to be learning.

Today I would like to discuss a little more students' hipocrisy. I honestly can't stand students who are not themselves in the classroom; students who deliver knowledge, but do not internalize it; students who claim something, but act in a different way. Indeed, for me, this is not learning. Let me give you an example that I witnessed in college. One day in a so and so class, we students were discussing a book that pointed out what responsibilities and respect were. Students came up with some ideas - most of those ideas were very beautifully pleasing to our ears - and from that, the teacher implictly asked us to ponder over our own actions, and how responsibility and respect are performed in our own lives. It seemed like a good lecture. Some days went by and one of the students was eating something and threw the snack bag on the floor, and left - and it was evident that the student was aware of what he/she just did. Interestingly, that was one of the students who proclaimed beautiful words about respect and responsibility in class.

Now I ask myself, "What's going on with our education?" Are we machines or something? Are our students really learning meaningfully? I honestly do not think so. Issues like those intrigue me a lot. For one thing I believe, effective learning demands change in behavior. Let's stop pleasing our teachers (and everyone else) if we do not deliver what we vocalize because one thing is for sure: talk is cheap.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário