quarta-feira, 28 de outubro de 2009

More thoughts


The last couple of nights I ended up sleeping around 3-4Am. I just could not fall asleep because something was bugging me: we need more effective education.

I know it sounds like I am trying to convey the message that I am the good guy who's desperately looking for some type of recognition, or something like that (you can draw your own opinion), but I can assure you I am not. However, I am extremely concerned about the education system in my country (Brazil).

Just for your information, Brazil occupies the 76th position in the education ranking (data from Unicef). This information just gives me goosebumps. It is just devastating to hear governors state that our country is getting better economically when only 30% of the population can effectively write, read, and understand. 70% is falling behind - just like in the colonial times.

I watched on youtube a Brazilian documentary that was held in the state of Para - one of the poorest states in Brazil. In fact, this state - like some others - is still run by colonels, who are the rich minority that rules over the big mass of ignorant people. the documentary called "What are schools for?" interviews people from very poor background and ask them what education is for. We obverse different points of view; some of them are hard to be heard. But what kept me awake late those nights was when a very old man gave an interview about education. Although we was very poor, he sounded very upbeat. He stated that he had just learned how to write his name on a paper. He was happy because he thought that from that moment on he would be able to have new opportunities in life. That for sure saddened my heart and I almost left tear roll down my eyes.

People ask me "Why do you want to come back to Brazil after you graduate?" "Life is much better in the USA, why dont you just live there?" In fact, I have had this dilemma for a long time. Nowadays, I am more than sure that I want to go back home and help build education in our public schools. I am proud to be Brazilian and I hate to hear when people say that they hate to be Brazilians - mainly because of corruption. I aggree that our country has a lot to improve, but I would betray myself if I just left those 70% deserted. I try my best to be true to what I believe and I think we all should do things to improve the welfare of all.

Um comentário:

  1. Wow! I feel just like you!! I'm so happy to see that there are Brazilians who still want to make the change we need to grow up and build a better education system in Brazil. Congratulations Marcelo! You're inspiration for those like me who really cares about our country and loves it! I get really frustated when people just say bad things about Brazil!Why don't they try to improve it, instead of just criticizing? Let's take action and do our part! :)

    ResponderExcluir