domingo, 15 de novembro de 2009

There's no perfect teacher

Although we teachers-to-be strive to be the most effective (read "perfect") teachers in the world, it's humanly impossible to be perfect 365 days a year.
Last couple of weeks, I felt that I could be easily irritated. After calming down a bit, I pondered over the reason why I was so irritated. I came to the conclusion that there are moments when I want things to go my way because I know I am right. For example, I was very irritated about my floormates' reckless parties at inappropriate times. Whan I transfer my experiences to possible uncomfortable experiences in a classroom, I wonder if I will be the effective teacher I want to be. Will I ever be able to control what I strongly believe when students' come up with opposite beliefs? If I hate noise, will I be able to cope with students' noise? I really wonder...

However, I believe I have a lot to contribute to any learner. I believe I hold strong values that might make a difference for these learners. On the other hand, when we say "we need to value and cultivate diversity", it is very hard to perform what we preach in the real world. Every day we are going to have students who want to challenge us and check if we teachers are capable enough to "take care" of them. These students will test our pacience and our knowledge.

Coming back to authenticity...I believe that authentic teachers tend to stress out more than unauthentic ones, because they carry strong beliefs that make them who they are. I myself carry very strong beliefs that are very unlikely to change.

In short, I believe there's no perfect teacher in the world. There's no perfect teacher, because there's no human being.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário