quarta-feira, 25 de novembro de 2009

Humility

Of all the entries I have made so far, I strongly believe that this one is one of the most important. For me, if teachers are not humble, they never become better teachers, because no novice starts off with great social and teaching strategies. If teachers are not open to criticism, they are less likely to be open to understand students' needs.
I myself taught basic English skills in private institutions since I was 16. However, nowadays, I am humble enough to say that I was not ready for teaching. I did things I will never do again. In fact, I went through hard times teaching when I began teaching at a private school. The problem was not about content but class management. Of course, I was only 16/17. But on the other hand, I learned through my mistakes, and I value that a lot.
Another thing, I am aware of my weaknessess, and I am willing to work on them. I really want to be a very efficient teacher - a teacher who can transfer knowledge, but also manage with all sorts of students and personal obstacles. For example, I know I have to work on anxiety. I get too nervous when doing public speech I also know I have to work on my diction, because I do not always sound as clear as I should be. I am hoping that my college experience will help me overcome these weakenessess. At the same time, I know that things like that come with time. I am humble enough to seek help when I need it.
In short, I am far from being perfect. What pushes me forward is my dream of becoming one of the best teachers wherever I go. I am proud of myself because I have been going through hurdles that can potentially let anyone down, but I do persist because I have faith I can do it. Humility has helped me believe that better days are to come.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário